Sponsors stand as representative of the Catholic community and act as a special witness to the child of what it means to be a good Catholic.
Catholic Church Requirements
To be a sponsor, a person must be:
- A baptized Catholic who has received the sacraments of Confirmation and Holy Communion and is practicing the Catholic faith.
- Mature enough to undertake the responsibility.
- A Catholic in good standing of the Catholic Church.
- Someone other than the father or mother, spouse or fiancÚ of the one who is to be confirmed.
- Catholics who wish to be a Sponsor at Our Lady of the Rosary Church must meet Catholic Church requirements and complete a Sponsor Commitment Pledge form. (A Proxy can represent a Sponsor if the Sponsor is unable to attend the Confirmation.) However, the Sponsor still must complete the Sponsor Commitment Pledge Form.
- Parishioners of Our Lady of the Rosary who wish to be a Sponsor in another Catholic Church must meet Catholic Church requirements and complete Parish Sponsor Commitment Pledge form, if the parish in which the person is to confirmed requests a formal letter/document from our parish. It will be issued by Our Lady of the Rosary after the Baptism Commitment Pledge is received in our office along with the following information: Church where person is be confirmed, and address of church along with your name, address, phone, & e-mail address.
- Can A Non-Catholic Be A Catholic Sponsor?
No, because the Confirmation Sponsor is a representative of the Catholic community and acts as a special witness to the child of what it means to be a good Catholic.
- What If The Person You Wish To Be Sponsor Does Not Meet All The Requirements Of The Church?
Meet with Father Joe Salerno to discuss options available to you.